Research Institute of Theory and History of Fine Arts
21 Prechistenka str.
Victor Vladimirovich Vanslov
Tel: 8 495 637 4291
Michael Alekseevitch Busev
Deputy Director for Research Work
Tel: 8 495 637 3176
The Research Institute of Theory and History of Fine Arts of the Russian Academy of Arts was established in 1947 as the Academy’s division to carry out researches into the history of fine arts, modern world and Russian art movements and trends, as well as to publish results of its researches to be accessible to the Academy’s institutions and general public. With an annual average output of 20-30 editions, including books, monographs, albums, catalogues, textbooks on art, the Institute has accumulated a big library contributing both to the history of art and aesthetic education.
Departments of the Research Institute of Theory and History of Fine Arts:
- 20th-21st-Century Russian Art;
- Russian Art of the 18th-19th Centuries;
- Old Russian Art and Modern Religious Art;
- Monumental Art and Architecture;
- Folk and Decorative Art;
- Theory and Problems of Aesthetics;
- Art criticism;
- Foreign Art;
- Dictionary of Russian Artists;
- Computerized Art;
- Editing and Publishing Department.
The Institute offers post-graduate programs and a Council on Theses for PhD and Doctor’s Degrees.
It holds four annual seminars on the following topics:
• Old Russian Art (headed by Anna V. Ryndina);
• Old Russian Architecture (headed by Andrey L. Batalov);
• Problems of Theory of Art and Aesthetics (headed by Oleg A. Krivtsun);
• 20th Century Western Art (headed by Michael A. Busev).
The School of Young Art Historians in the Research Institute of Theory and History of Fine Arts offers monthly lectures by experts in different areas of art intended for general public including specialists and newcomers to this field.